Regular readers of this blog know that I write a lot about identifying–and building a wardrobe around–your own personal style.
And there’s no-one in the public eye today who exemplifies the concept of “personal style” more than Lady Gaga.
Love her or hate her (or simply be entertained by her), she’s one of a kind. She’s known as much, if not more, by what she wears than what she sings.
Now, given that you and I are probably not popping down to the mall this weekend in a leotard and a hair bow made of hair, what style secrets can we learn from Lady Gaga? More than you’d think, perhaps.
Lady Gaga’s rules for style
- Be true to yourself. Lady Gaga has created an image for herself that’s larger than life and fiercely avant garde; everything she wears has these qualities. So while everyone around you may be copying the latest looks out of the pages of Vogue, stick to the style that works best for you. You can be aware of the trends in fashion, but don’t be constrained by them.
- Know what works for your body. One of the reasons Lady Gaga can get away with wearing some of her more revealing outfits is that she has the body of, well, a 23-year-old dancer. Few of us have Lady Gaga physiques, but we should all be aware of what does look good on our body and what flatters our particular silhouette.
- Be a little daring. Fashion should be fun! Sure, Lady Gaga’s version of fun includes towering platform shoes and outfits made of Muppets, but you can be daring without looking like you’ve stepped out of the New York clubs. Try something you’ve never worn before. A flat if you always wear heels. Lace if you’re always buttoned down. A little leg if you’re always in pants.
- Don’t be afraid of color. One of the things that makes Gaga’s ensembles so eye-popping is often a use of vivid color: reds, yellows, purples. She doesn’t limit herself to the expected black. You can liven up your closet, too. If you’re afraid of going super-chromatic, try a scarf or a shoe in a vivid hue.
- Always accessorize. Lady Gaga’s get-ups almost always include wigs, hats, shoes or other accessories to complete her looks–and take them over the top. When’s the last time you accessorized with anything other than your usual ring, watch and necklace? What about experimenting with rules 3 and 4 with a bold, chunky necklace?
I’ll never be mistaken for Lady Gaga myself. But I can follow some of her style secrets the next time I want to mix up my wardrobe a little bit. Ga ga oh la la!
- Has Lady Gaga inspired your style?
- What’s your favorite Gaga look?
- What are your style secrets?