A reader writes, “I found a bunch of funky scarves with graphic prints, and I also have a gorgeous Hermès scarf that I never wear. How and when do I accessorize with scarves? (Mine are either large square, or long rectangular in shape).”
An unworn Hermès scarf? Quelle horreur! Let’s correct this unfortunate situation, shall we?
There are three elements to accessorizing with a scarf:
- where to wear it on the body
- what garments to wear it with
- how to tie it
Where to wear a scarf
I’ll admit that even though I’m a scarf wearing type of gal myself, I tend to do the expected and wear it around my neck. But there are lots of other ways to wear a scarf!
- Around your neck. The obvious, but perhaps easiest.
- On the head. Either as a full head-covering scarf (large sunglasses and convertible optional) or folded into a headband.
- At the waist. Try a long one (or two long ones tied together) as a belt, or slipped through two belt loops and tied together.
- Anywhere else. What about around your wrist as a bracelet alternative? Around the crown of your summer straw hat? And every fashionista knows a colorful scarf looks great knotted around the strap of a solid leather handbag.
What to wear a scarf with
Anything! Really, they’re so easy to wear; why not have fun and experiment? Put a scarf with a T-shirt or a dress and either way, it’s instant chic. Here are some other garments to accessorize with a scarf:
- A tailored blazer
- A button-down or collared shirt
- An open-necked top, like a boatneck or jewel neck
- A V-neck sweater
How to tie a scarf
My favorite online tutorials are the super helpful videos from the très fabuleuse blogger of Une Femme d’Un Certain Âge (there’s one at the top of this post and you can find them all on her YouTube channel).
Finally, for little instruction cards of knotting styles, as well as suggested scarf locations, look no further than the House of Hermès itself: Knotting Cards.
Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment or share it with someone else; just use the handy sharing widget below. (Get more shopping tips and fun insider stuff: Join The Style List. It’s like a secret club in your email inbox! And when you join, you’ll get my free email series, 7 Days to Better Shopping. It’s my gift to you!)