Whether you’re dining at the chicest chef’s outpost or simply adding candles and flowers to your own dining room table, the biggest Date Night of the year, otherwise known as Valentine’s Day, is just around the corner.
What’s a chic mom to wear?
Here are some ways you can spice up your Valentine’s Day with an outfit (and an evening) that’s truly a Level 5.
- If you’re going out straight from work. Obviously you can’t spend a day at the office in your LBD. Or can you? Unless it’s cut too high or cut too low (and if it’s both, it’s a bit too much for dinner anyway), make it work friendly by topping it with a fitted blazer or even a belted, beaded cardigan. Wear a strand of pearls and you can keep them on all day. Take off the topper and swap your pumps for strappy heels, and you are Level 5, lady.
- If you’re leaving after the babysitter arrives. Unless your kids are older, you might have to dodge sweet and sticky little fingers up until the moment of your escape, so the LBD is a little less practical. Think sexy top (sequins, low cut, velvet, whatever you’ve got!), pencil skirt and your blingiest, shiniest necklace. Save the skirt for the last minute, or put a robe over everything, until you hear that doorbell.
- If you’re having your romantic dinner at home. Who says you have to save Level 5 for going out? This is still Date Night, my friend. Sure, you can slip those high heels off whenever you’d like (and you should be taking them off eventually, wink wink), but why save your best dress for a night out?
No matter which scenario is yours, you’re not necessarily limited to a dress or a skirt. Your main goal is to feel fabulous, so wear what you know looks fantastic on you, whether it’s a pair of well-cut trousers or skinny jeans, and include a little skin and a little shine.
Add perfume and heels (how high you can tolerate is between you and your feet–or possibly your podiatrist) and you’re done.
What to buy
$105 – modcloth.com
$89 - jildorshoes.com
$90 - stevemadden.com (heads up: free shipping on orders over $75 with code SMFREESHIP for a limited time)
$45 – zappos.com
$42 - nordstrom.com
$32 - maxandchloe.com
[Disclosure: Some links are affiliate links.]
- What are you planning to wear for Valentine’s Day?
- What’s your favorite look for Date Night?
Share the love
Thanks for reading. Did you like this post? Please leave a comment or share it with someone else; just use the handy sharing widget below.
(Want to get more shopping tips and fun insider stuff? Join The Style List. It’s like a secret club in your email inbox! And when you join, you’ll get my free email series, 7 Days to Better Shopping. It’s my gift to you!)