Don’t seasonal clearance sales always feel like they happen way too early, just as the season is getting underway?
Even though you might feel like summer is only about halfway done, the clearance sales are starting up, and you can expect them to continue through Labor Day as stores look to make room for the next fall and back-to-school merchandise.
But savvy shoppers know this is prime time to plan ahead and scoop up deals for next summer.
Here are the best items to save on with summer clearance sales. (Maybe I should call them the 5 S’s?)
- Swimwear. I’m always amazed by how much a good suit costs, so I wait for the seasonal sales to build up my wardrobe of swimwear options. Look for colors and patterns you can mix and match with what you already own. I tend to stick to black, white and brights for this reason, but you could do the same thing with navy blue and red, for example.
- Sandals. I’m a bit of a sandal junkie, I admit, so I indulge my habit with markdowns. Now I’ve got colors, styles and heel heights for just about any occasion. But even if you’re strictly a limited-pair person, your favorite sandals will eventually wear out; now’s the time to replace them.
- Shorts. Take a look at your current shorts wardrobe. Are they all still in good condition? In colors that work with the tops you own? Do they fit properly? If any of your answers are “no,” swap out the not-so-good pairs for new ones–on sale! (Not a shorts wearer? Do the same thing with your capris, or linen skirts, or the like.)
- Sundresses. Whether you wear them every day, or just use them for swimwear coverups, sundresses are a practical bit of summer wear. They’re typically not that expensive to begin with, so imagine the kind of bargains you should be able to get on clearance.
- Sunglasses. The designer brands (like your Ray-Bans) probably won’t be marked down, but the cheaper versions that you can leave behind at the beach and not cry about? Now’s a good time to stock up on replacements.
Watch out for anything that was too trendy this summer. We might be wearing neon again in 2013–and we might not. Stick to basic colors and styles so you won’t regret that purchase next year, no matter how much it was marked down.
What are your favorite summer steals at the clearance sales?
What to buy
Share the love
Thanks for reading. Did you like this post? Please leave a comment or share it with someone else; just use the handy sharing widget below.
(Want to get more shopping tips and fun insider stuff? Join The Style List. It’s like a secret club in your email inbox! And when you join, you’ll get my free email series, 7 Days to Better Shopping. It’s my gift to you!)