Last spring I talked to my good friend and Stella & Dot jewelry stylist Janire Hopkins about how to choose and buy jewelry.
One of my questions was “What key pieces of jewelry should every woman have in her wardrobe?”
Janire is a big fan of Tim Gunn’s suggestion to own one trendy piece for every 10 classic pieces, and I think that’s a good rule of thumb, too. As she points out, classic means jewelry you can wear every day and that is always stylish.
You don’t even need 10 items to have a Core Wardrobe of jewelry that will serve you well, no matter what your personal style; my list just has 5.
The pieces of jewelry every woman should own
- fancy earrings for evening
- small studs for day (diamond, pearl, sterling silver or gold)
- pearl necklace, choker length or slightly longer
- statement necklace in colors predominant in your wardrobe
- good watch
For more about selecting jewelry and caring for it, read the rest of my interview with Janire. You can also find tips, videos and more at the Jewelry Information Center, a website from the Jewelers of America, the professional organization.
- What’s on your list of classic pieces every woman should own?
- Do you own all of these pieces?
- What’s your favorite piece of jewelry and why?
Share the love
Thanks for reading. Did you like this post? Please leave a comment or share it with someone else; just use the handy sharing widget below.
(Want to get more shopping tips and fun insider stuff? Join The Style List. It’s like a secret club in your email inbox! And when you join, you’ll get my free email series, 7 Days to Better Shopping. It’s my gift to you!)