Whenever I talk to women about style and fashion, one of the most common frustrations I hear is this: “I feel like I’m stuck in a style rut. I keep buying the same things over and over again because I don’t know what else to get.”
It doesn’t have to be that way. Even better, it’s not quite as difficult (or even scary) as you might think.
Here are a few you-can-do-this ways to break out of your fashion comfort zone:
- Do the opposite. Remember that episode of Seinfeld when hapless George discovered that things finally went right for him whenever he did the opposite of what he usually did? (“The Opposite”; it’s a classic.) Try the fashion version. Always dress in black or dark tones? Bust out the color-blocking. Closet full of trousers? (Closet full of 6 versions of the same exact pair of trousers?) Slip on a skirt. Trade the solid tights for patterned ones. Trade a T-shirt for a tie-front blouse. It doesn’t have to be forever; try it for a day or two here and there.
- Ease into it with accessories. If committing to a wardrobe evolution seems too daunting, start on a smaller scale with accessories: jewelry, belt, handbag, shoes. Something as simple as wearing pumps instead of flats or adding a belt on top of a cardigan can make a familiar outfit feel new again.
- Follow your instinct. When you go shopping or look online or surf Pinterest, what grabs your eye? You know, before you have time to mentally talk yourself out of it? If it’s off the beaten style path for you, trust your instinct–and follow it. Risky can be rewarding.
Remember: even the unsuccessful experiments are just that–experiments. No-one’s going to force you to wear that again, whatever it was, and now you have more information about what you like and what you don’t.
And if you want even more ways to try new things with your style life, my Try This Thursdays series may be just what you need. (This week, for example, we’ll be talking about accessories; it’ll be right up your alley if tip #2 today resonated with you.)
What to buy
[Disclosure: Some links are affiliate links.]
Share the love
- Like this post? Please leave a comment or share it with someone else; just use the handy sharing widget below.
- Get more shopping tips and fun insider stuff: Join The Style List. When you sign up, you’ll also get my free email series, 7 Days to Better Shopping.